Christmas Eve – 2013
Highly indebted to Pastor Eric Burtness for allowing use of his sermon:
Joseph’s Story: A Christmas Sermon
I used some long portions of this (especially about Joseph’s prayer and our own wondering and questioning God’s plan- and the stats about hymns), but fit it into my theme of “Do not be afraid – God is with you.” I also attribute the concept of accepting God’s favor to Pastor Nadia Bolz-Weber and her sermon “And a Soul Felt Its Worth: a Sermon on an Overlooked Miracle.” Lastly – I incorporated some of David Lose’s thoughts on the Matthew text commentary on “Dear Working Preacher,” especially in reminding us of the reality of Mary and Joseph’s emotions after hearing the news of Mary’s pregnancy.
I confess, this sermon is mostly tying their ideas/words together to enhance my focus on letting go of fear and believing the word of favor God has for us, revealed in the person of Jesus. I did not verbally attribute all during the sermon, but want to make sure my sources are acknowledged when I post it on my blog and on the church Facebook page. A footnoted copy of the sermon can be found here. Thanks to all preachers who share their insights – giving new life to familiar texts.
August 2015 M T W T F S S « Dec 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
- About Grace Notes 2
- Links of Interest
- Luther’s Small Catechism audio
- Vicar’s Corner
- RT @elcagathering: Bishop Eaton, out in Detroit. #RiseUpELCA #ELCA http://t.co/kuKG8kABiI 2 weeks ago
- Isn't it true that the camp world is exactly how the real world should look? Kyle Larson #elcagathering AMEN! @camplutherohio ROCKS! 2 weeks ago
- RT @MaryShore: In high school, I heard Baptist Will Campbell at a gathering in Kansas City. Tonight, @ericbarreto carries on the tradition.… 2 weeks ago
- RT @BonitaEsJuanita: The $4.88 I spent to get this selfie stick was the best decision I've ever made 😂 #RiseUpELCA 2 weeks ago
- Following Kayla at the ELCA Youth Gathering twitter.com/bonitaesjuanit… 2 weeks ago